Big In Nagasaki

Thursday, January 18, 2007

TANUKI

This is a tanuki. Well, it's actually a larger-than-life carving of a tanuki. When people translate tanuki into English, they usually say something like "raccoon dog." They are fierce little creatures that would probably be considered to be more of a badger than anything else. Albeit, I've never actually seen one personally, I have seen one freaking out on TV and it struck me to be very badger-like. But, I digress.

I like tanukis a whole bunch. They're pretty ingrained in Japanese culture and play second fiddle only to the kitsune, or fox. You can pretty much find statues and carvings of these little devils everywhere. Today in Japan, their likeness usually guards doors of businesses and restaurants. They also appear quite often as a type of garden gnome, or a fancy version of a carafe for sake or shochu.

Like the kitsune, the tanuki is said to have special powers. These animals are said to be the gods of gluttony, booze and um... well... uh... sex. (Notice the rather large, how shall I put it?.... genitalia.) And even though I really like the idea of this crazy little animal being a vehicle for debauchery, I like most the idea that it likes to play tricks on people. In the past it was said tanukis had the power to shape-shift, and they liked to annoy people by turning into a tea pot or a pitcher and wiggle out of someone's hand while they were pouring drinks for guests, or something like that.

If you're as interested in tanukis as I am, you should check out Tom Robbin's book, Villa Incognito. It's a crazy read in general, as most of his books are, but the tanuki plays a large role in the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home