Big In Nagasaki

Thursday, February 22, 2007

If You Could Invent Something New...

What would your invention be?

My students have had to answer this question in English, and I've had to correct their answers. Usually the responses are run-of-the-mill. Many people want a time machine, or some robot to do their housework for them. One of my students even said that she'd like to have a machine that hung her clothes out to dry for her because in winter her hands get too cold when she does that chore. She went as far as to say that she's well aware that there are clothes dryers, but she didn't want one of those. She wants one that will hang her clothes on the line for her. (Clothes dryers in Japan are probably most widely used in Hokkaido. Most everyone down here hangs their laundry out to dry on lines.)

Here's one essay that I found to be particularly amusing. Perhaps it's the wording that tickled me, or perhaps it's the glimpse into a part of one of my student's lives that I hadn't expected. It's just so simple and honest and good. Anyway, here it is in all of its uncorrected glory.

"I want to invent a machine which we can make a tea without fail to if I could. First, I sometimes get sad felling when I fail to make a tea. I love tea time. So, I love cup of a tea and pieces of cookies make me happy. But a tea with failed to make smells bad or nothing. So, I get unhappy feeling. Second, it would give me a lot of benefit. It is because there are a lot of people like me. So such a people should buy my machine. So, I want to invent such a machine."

I thought all teenagers would invent a robot to do their homework or chores. Not this kid, they just want a nice tea time.

Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home