Big In Nagasaki

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Tid Bits and Love

Oh boy. Where to start? I'm feeling a bit random and discombobulated today. Of course this is due to the welcome party/beginning of the school year party last night. Sake got me again.

I wore my hair in two braided pig tails yesterday. Many people commented on it. Even my big, burly judo teacher and the "disciplinarian" of the school quipped, "kawaii" (cute!) when he saw me. On the way to the party, one of the English teachers asked me about my do and wanted to know if foreign people often wore their hair in braids. Sheesh. I think I developed a complex.

A boy named Yuske came to the teacher's room today trying to find out who's class he'll be on Monday. For some reason, this is all kept secret until the day the students start classes. He wanted me to do some reconnaissance on his behalf. I did without knowing what a serious secret it is in the eyes of the school. Luckily, I'm clueless and uninformed. Also, the class lists haven't been written anywhere yet, so I didn't let the cat out of the bag. Yuske left and that was that. About five minutes later, he came back. We had talked once about music and he told me he was a huge Luther Vandross fan. He is really adept at speaking English and the conversation went slowly, but very smoothly. We discussed music for about ten minutes and then he told me that a song called "Take You Out" by Ne-Yo was just like an experience he had, except for the ending. I asked him to tell me about it and it actually brought us back to the reason why he was so passionate about finding out his class assignment. He's head over heels for a girl and just HAS to know if they're going to be in the same class!

Maybe it was Yuske's choice of words, or his slow and labored concentration on getting them out, but I don't think I have ever met anyone as in love and romantic as this seventeen year old boy. Nor have I seen a better example of the excruciating torture being in love can put one through.

Yuske: When we prepared for the school festival, I looked up and her face was so close to mine. I didn't know there was such a pretty girl at this school. At that moment, a thunder bolt went through my heart.

Me: Wow Yuske! You're very romantic!

Yuske: That is why I am here. I don't want to know if I'm in the best class. I only want to know if I am in her class.

Me: I'm sorry you have to wait, but it's only three more days.

Yuske: If it doesn't happen, I will be very sad. But if it does happen, I will be the happiest boy in this school.

After he left I spoke with Mrs. Yamamoto. He had also asked her what class he was going to be in, but she wouldn't tell. She did tell me though. He is going to be in the class he is hoping for.

2 Comments:

Blogger biginkyiv said...

u r silly, romeo! then again, u r a romantic too. it's in ur nature!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn:
I loved reading this story even though you had shared it with me in our last phone conversation. It is a beautiful love story. Mom

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home