Big In Nagasaki

Monday, May 28, 2007

I am bad! And when I say "bad", I mean awesome!

I earned my black belt in judo over the weekend! Go me!

Even though I didn't win one of my five matches (against JHS students! -- Hey, they were GOOD! And, they've been practicing judo a lot longer than me and they were on steroids.... well, maybe not the 'roids, but!) the judges decided to award me with the honor of a kurobi because I have "fighting spirit."

I'm psyched (and still hurting--you should see all the bruises!).

I've been super busy at school. This is a very strange, strange occurrence. I haven't been busy at work in a long time. I've been going to classes with the freshmen and seniors. I'll have a lecture with the students in the middle next month. Also, I've been teaching environmental issues (in English) to two classes of seniors. I'm having them research energy sources and write a paper on them. Then, they'll have to present their findings.

I've also gotten all jazzed about the amount of PLASTIC that is created/used in the world and the fact that it can never be destroyed without disastrous effects to the environment. Think about all those plastic bags that you tote your groceries home in from the store! The chip bags! The wrapping around beef, chicken, fish! The Styrofoam containers displaying your tomatoes! It's never ending. The next time you go to the store, try to buy all of your groceries without buying plastic. You can't. Where does it go when it's been used? According to this article in Best Life Magazine, it goes into the ocean. Read it. It'll change your world view.
( http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/health-fitness/Our_oceans_are_turning_into_plastic_are_we_2.shtml )

Things are going to be hectic for me from now until the end of my contract in late July. The next big thing is the all-prefectures sport's competition. We're having an enkai (banquet) tomorrow night to support and encourage our teachers (coaches). It's a really big deal and it also marks the end of extra curricular activities for the seniors. After this week, they'll be given extra classes in the mornings and afternoons so they can study more and get into good colleges.

We won't be back to semi-normal programming until next week on Wednesday.

Also, this weekend, T-diddy's mom and bro are gonna be in town. Dinner plans are on the agenda.

In mid June, I've got two English camps in the same week. The weekend following that, I'll be meeting with the female teachers from Ojika for a farewell party. The following weekend I'm going out to Kamigoto to visit friends and show T-diddy how beautiful the Gotos are. After that, I'll be home for Amelia and Gustavo's wedding.

I get back to Japan on the 10th of July and end my contract on the 25th. I've got lots of parties and plans already scheduled for those last two weeks. It's going to go by in the blink of my eye. I hate when things get so busy that I can't actually enjoy them.

That's my update. Steen! Steen! Steen!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OMG give Kamigoto the biggest hug ever for me k? I miss that place *so* much....

Plus - remind me not to mess with you EVER. Black belt bad ass bitch that you are! Go you!

*mwah*

Rom x

11:57 AM  
Blogger biginkyiv said...

Hey! I started a letter to you yesterday. It'll be in the mail ASAP. ~Mercrutio

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home